Media Council of Kenya Job Vacancies, deadline 20th January 2018
The Media Council of Kenya is an independent national institution established by the Media Council Act, 2013 as the leading institution in the regulation of media and in the conduct and discipline of journalists. The Council seeks to fill the following vacant position:
VA/1 Communications Officer
- Conceptualization and development of communication and advocacy strategies including editing, production and dissemination of the Council’s information, communication and education materials.
- Take the leading editing role in the Council’s newsletter, The Media Observer as well as other Council publications including reports, information summaries, annual reports, policy briefs and promotional materials.
- Planning and implementing outreach activities and media relations to build strategic partnerships and visibility for the organization
- Developing effective support networks and positive working relationships with government agencies, NGO’s, development partners and community groups.
- Organizing and conducting public outreach activities, trainings, ensuring positive visibility of the organization and production of social mobilization materials
- Identify and support the Council’s communication and marketing needs to help raise its profile, as well as publicize its mandate, and objectives and activities.
- Respond to internal information needs.
- Assist to identify Audio/Visual needs to cover Council activities where appropriate.
- Media monitoring, media liaison and assist in preparing speeches and presentations and maintenance of website
- Produce multimedia stories.
- Assist in managing the Council and partner in managing the Council’s website and Social Media platforms.
- Assist in Organizing Council events and formation of such events as conferences, workshop and seminars.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
- Degree in social sciences, journalism or related field from a recognised institution.
- Relevant Master’s Degree together with the above qualifications will be an added advantage.
- Experience in spearheading communication strategies and campaigns in or around the Kenyan context.
- Three (3) years’ experience in a similar position
- Demonstrated high level of personal achievement and effectiveness.
- Outstanding communication skills including excellent spoken and written English.
We’re looking for a self-driven individual with a strong and relevant professional background for this position. The right individual will bring innovation and creativity to the role, while providing practical advice to MCK’s management in executing the communications strategy. At a minimum you will have:
- Writing and editing skills imperative
- Ability to mobilise stakeholders
- Online information management, social media and website administration
- Understand Kenya’s media environment
- Publication and documents too
- Online information Management
- Report writing
- Transport authorized persons for official duties;
- Drive the assigned vehicle ensuring the safety of passengers, vehicle and other road users for the transport of authorized persons;
- Responsible for the day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle –check oil level, water, coolant, battery, tyre, etc;
- Responsible for the cleanliness of the vehicle including arraigning it for repair using the prevailing procedure;
- Log official trips as per government procedure and policies including mileage, consumption, route etc.;
- Ensure vehicle documents are current including display of insurance cover at all times observe traffic rules and regulations;
- Maintain confidentiality of passenger conversations /discussions;
- Report accidents or incidents immediately to the supervisor and ensure that steps required by rules and regulations are taken incase of involvement in accident.
Possess a KCSE certificate C plain or its KNEC accepted equivalent
- Possess a clean driving license free from any endorsement;
- Three years (3) proven driving experience
- Have adequate knowledge of the highway code;
- Have Government Trade test III;
- Have knowledge of driving rules and conversant with road security code.
- Have a valid certificate of good conduct from Kenya Police renewable every two years.
VA/III Administrative Assistant
- Manage the reception area to ensure effective telephone and visitor handling to maintain professional image of the council.
- Making appointments and reservations both internally and externally for staff in the Council
- Receiving and assisting clients/visitors at the reception, greeting them in a courteous, warm, and professional manner Promoting a positive image of the community
- Receiving, sorting, registering and forwarding incoming mails to the Chief Executive Officer’s Office for action.
- Routinely perform basic typing, filing, and clerical work as requested
- Performing basic office administrative and HR duties assigned.
- Attending to all incoming and outgoing calls of the Council
- Operate office machines, such as photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines, voice mail systems, and personal computers.
- Possess a Diploma in secretarial studies from a recognized institution preferably KNEC , or Degree in Human Resource/Business Administration.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office to include: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Be excellent interpersonal skills and integrity
- Good command of both English and Kiswahili languages
- Have ability to work under pressure and independently
- Three (3) years relevant experience in a similar position in a busy organization with HR and administrative responsibilities.
Applicants meeting above qualifications should send their applications, giving full details of their age, qualifications, experience, present and expected remuneration, full contact address including daytime telephone number, detailed C.V, copies of certificates and testimonials and contact details of three referees.
Applications should indicate position applied for including the reference number and addressed to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Media Council of Kenya
P.O. Box 43132- 00100
Applications can also be sent via E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or hand deliver applications to: Media Council of Kenya, Ground Floor, Britam Centre at Mara/Ragati Road Junction in Upper Hill So as to reach not later than 20th January 2018.