Interview Questions: Why do you want this job?
Why did you apply for this position?
Why do you want to work here?
Why are you interested in this position?
Important to Note:
- The interviewer only wants to ascertain that you actually want to join their team for a valid reason.
- To answer this question in a way that will create impact, look at it as an opportunity to showcase how your skills match perfectly with the organization’s culture, vision and values.
- You can also portray how you joining the team fits in with your ultimate career goal and how enthusiastic you are at the opportunity.
Pitfalls to avoid when answering this question
- You failing to mention the company when answering this question is an immediate red flag to the interviewer. Yes clearly you have skills and your experience is acceptable, but if you cannot say how your skills will benefit your interviewer’s company they lose interest.
- Giving away too much information is unnecessary. You don’t need to state how the company is close to your home, or how you will have an easy time dropping your children to school due to flexible working hours. All this is irrelevant.
- You talking about your current or previous employer negatively. Even if you hate working at your current company, your interviewer doesn’t need to know.
Sample Response:I have always wanted to be part of a team that makes tangible difference in people’s lives like your organization does. When I saw the advert, I was drawn to the qualities your ideal candidate should have and I realized I possess them all and it would be my career dream to put them to work.